So I actually have readers who want to know about my regimen (so cool).
When I started, I actually just copied Sunshyne's regimen from hairlicious.inc. I tweaked it a bit from there on from reading other blogs and seeing how my hair responded to some of the stuff. I am trying not to buy too many product (this is hard) and actually try a product for a couple of months before discounting it.
So here are my products:
Moisturizer - Wave Nouveau moisturizer finishing lotion
Sealant - Hollywood beauty castor oil or hot six oil
Shampoo - Creme of Nature ultra moisturizing shampoo
Prepoo - Coconut Oil (nature's way organic)
Edges/Scalp oil - Castor oil (Jamaican Black Castor Oil (JBCO))
Conditioner - Silk Element Megasilk Treatment
Edges - ORS Edge Control
- Moisturize and seal twice a day with Wave Nouveau and Castor Oil (usually in the morning and again before bed)
- I baggy everyday, I just love baggying (I basically add some wave nouveau and put a plastic cap over my head for about 3 hours when I get home from work, when I take the plastic cap off, I seal with some castor oil)
- I wear a bun everyday except on wash day when I let my hair air dry.
- I put JBCO on my edges and my scalp twice a week (usually after a wash) - this really helped with my edges
- The night before a wash (usually Friday) I put coconut oil on my hair and put a plastic cap on it. I sleep with it until the morning
- I wash my hair with the creme of nature shampoo (usually Saturday), then I condition for 30 to 45 min with a heat cap.
- I air dry my hair, adding some moisturizer half way thru. Once it's somewhat dry, I seal with some castor oil
- I sleep with a satin scarf every night.
I am still experimenting with my regimen, so I might add things here and there. I want to keep it as simple as possible. I think I need to find a good leave in conditioner.
The things that I have done that truly made a difference are:
- Stop relaxing so often (6 weeks or less is just too soon). I relax at least 10 weeks in, I am trying to go for 12 or 13 weeks
- Stop using so much heat. I use heat on my hair only on relaxer days. Once I get to BSL and will be more inclined to wear my hair out, I might work on figuring out some fun styles that I can wear.
- Deep conditioning every week really made my hair softer.
I recently added Wen from Chaz Dean to my regimen. I have added one wash day during the week so that I can use this. I have only used it for a month but I definitely love the way it makes my hair feel. I am going to continue with this for at least another two months before I decide if it's a definite keeper or not. By the way this doesn't work so well when I wash after a prepoo of coconut oil so I will probably keep a regular shampoo and use this more like a cowash (kind of expensive but we'll see).
I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.